shibboleth-dev - wrt user entry of a pointer to their IDP ..or.. "invisible SSO"

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

wrt user entry of a pointer to their IDP ..or.. "invisible SSO"

  • From: Jeff Hodges <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: wrt user entry of a pointer to their IDP ..or.. "invisible SSO"
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:36:38 -0700

[apologies for cross-post, but want to get to the union of these two lists]

ScottC tells me that what he has heard from this community is that everybody wants "invisible SSO", i.e. no prompts materialized to the user other than any ones necessary for credential entry (e.g. username & password). Of course, such a position has implications for IDP discovery approaches such as that built into OpenID.

I've groveled through chunks of the discussions on these lists over the past couple of years haven't found clearly articulated positions along the lines of that expressed above, but have found Scott's challenge(s) (one is attached below).

As IDP discovery continues to be a key aspect of single signon protocol design, and has figured non-trivially in our work on SAMLv2, Liberty, etc, not to mention being a defining feature of OpenID, I'm quite interested in hearing the perspectives of the deployers/implementors in this community.

thanks,

=JeffH