shibboleth-dev - Possible user interface problem

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Possible user interface problem

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Possible user interface problem
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:20:03 -0700

I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate for this list. I think it's important enough to warrant awareness, at least.

I ran into a 'user interface problem' that could be very confusing for non-technical users (and could generate help desk calls). I think it's something implementers should consider if they haven't already. (I didn't find anything on this issue in the shib-dev email...)

I went to a Shib'ed SP the other day, was redirected by their WAYF to my IdP (ProtectNetwork), and got the login screen. Of course I had forgotten my password so I clicked on the link provided, went thru the rigamarole, and got logged in. But of course the IdP's server had no state information to know what to do with me! I basically had to start over at the SP.

So - the issue is how to provide a "forgotten password" mechanism that (usually) will return the user to the authN page where they landed initially. Someone suggested that the IdP's authN page could use a pop-up window to achieve this. I'm not a web designer (IANAWD) so I leave it to the experts to suggest the "right way" to handle this.

In any case, it would make the user interface much more friendly to design a flow that would feel more natural to the non-technical human.

David

(Flames off list please)

  • Possible user interface problem, David L. Wasley, 08/03/2007