shibboleth-dev - Re: IdP Logs: Last change to comment

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: IdP Logs: Last change to comment

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: IdP Logs: Last change to comment
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:36:44 -0400

There really isn't meant to be any connection between the logs, per-say.
They are meant for very different things.

The access log is like the web-server access log and so it doesn't even
know anything about SAML (or whatever protocol might be coming in).
It's simply meant to see very coarse grain load information (req/sec)
and could be used, for example, to monitor for DoS attacks.
Specifically the request path is just the path portion of the URL used
to access the IdP. So, for example, if your IdP SAML 2 SSO endpoint is
at http://example.edu/idp/saml2/sso then /idp/saml2/sso would be the
request path. If you want stats about how users interact with a
particular service you'll need to get those from the service itself.

The audit log is really meant to show auditable events, defined as any
completed request/response pair (even if the response was "this didn't
work"), or to put it another way, anytime the IdP sends something to
some one else. These would also be useful, for example, in creating
usage stats (X authn/sec, Y% of SPs making attribute queries, Z% of SPs
using artifact).

The normal IdP logs are narrative in nature (and thus not easy machine
parsed like the preceding two logs). These logs are meant to be where
you go to see errors within the IdP, gain information to help you debug
problems, etc.

--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124