shibboleth-dev - Re: IdP Logs: Last change to comment

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: IdP Logs: Last change to comment

  • From: Simon McLeish <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: IdP Logs: Last change to comment
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:59:44 +0100
  • Disposition-notification-to: Simon McLeish <>

Hi Chad,

I'm not sure from the list of fields in the three logs how easy it will
be to map entries in one log to one in one or both of the others. Could
you possibly explain how this would be done?

Could you expand on what information will be in the request path field?
I'd quite like to be able to find out which URL was accessed to prompt a
request, for example to pick out whether users tend to follow links from
our library system to the top level of a resource or to journal level or
article level links.

Cheers,
Simon

Chad La Joie wrote:
> Okay, last chance for comments.
>
> The Shibboleth 2.0 IdP will have three logs: access, audit, and normal
> log4j log(s).
>
> Access: contains information about incoming requests, whether they
> complete or error out. Contains the following fields: request time,
> remote host IP, server host IP, server port, request path
>
> Audit: contains the following information about completed transactions,
> note not all fields may appear for every request/response pair: response
> time, asserting party ID, relying party ID, incoming request binding,
> outgoing response binding, message profile, SAML request ID, SAML
> response ID, user principal name, per-sp, per-principal authentication
> method, ID of released attributes
>
> log4j log(s): logging messages from the IdP as it executes, could be
> split into separate logs based on severity (i.e. error log for error and
> fatal messages, another for everything else).
>
> Anything additional people need in either the access or audit logs?
> Note that both logs will be written in some parsable format ( | (pipe)
> delimited by default).

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
communications disclaimer:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/secretariat/legal/disclaimer.htm