shibboleth-dev - What will interoperability of Shib with CardSpace encompass?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

What will interoperability of Shib with CardSpace encompass?

  • From: "Michael A. Grady" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: What will interoperability of Shib with CardSpace encompass?
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:50:01 -0500

As per: http://www.identityblog.com/?p=779
and https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/i2-news/2007-05/ msg00009.html

What isn't clear from this (at least to me) is what the scope of this collaboration between Microsoft and Internet2 will encompass. Has the scope been determined/agreed to?

- Is it intended to both provide the functionality within the Shib IdP to issue a "shib managed card" (and subsequently interact with that managed card to get a signed security token) and then to provide the functionality within the Shib SP to accept a managed card?

- And would the card(s) useable at a Shib SP be identified as "any Shib card", or would they be tied to a federation (e.g. "any InCommon card")? Or something else?

- If the Shib SP is modified to accept a "Shib InfoCard", will it also be able to continue to accept the current flows? I.e. would it be easy to support both?

And how does Federation metadata factor into all of this?

--
Michael A. Grady
Senior Technology Architect and Strategist