shibboleth-dev - Shibboleth SP Session Cache

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Shibboleth SP Session Cache

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Shibboleth SP Session Cache
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:11:52 +0100

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone has thought of implementing a plugin that would store the SP session cache on a cluster of memcache (http:// www.danga.com/memcached/) servers?

We use memcache here a lot since it reduces the need to hit DBs and it's FAST. Also there are APIs for a number of languages so for the developer it's just a case of GET/SET a value. The API takes care of contacting the correct server. If that server is down then the whole cached map is hashed across the running memcache instances transparently...

I guess some users would be instantly logged out if a server went down but that doesn't seem too bad. Memcache is normaly used in front of a DB but in this case it can be used independently.

This way the session cache can be shared easily across a cluster of SPs.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
André