shibboleth-dev - Re: merging attributes at the SP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: merging attributes at the SP

  • From: "Tom Scavo" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: merging attributes at the SP
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:31:49 -0400

On 4/30/07, Scott Cantor

...we do not
expect to shib the Java SP with the 2.0 release due to time constraints and
overall lateness, and the native SP is not going to have this particular
resolver plugin implemented initially. So I guess you could say that, no,
it's not a planned feature of the 2.0 SP.

Okay, I didn't know that, thanks.

I do plan to eventually port the Java resolver over and make it work,
however, aside from what the eventual Java version will have, and I have the
same goal as Chad, not to distinguish between local and remote data.

I'm working on this right now and from what I've been able to
determine it seems like merging attributes from two sources is not as
simple as it seems. In your case, what if each source issues an
attribute with the same name? Since the issuers are distinct, it
seems the attributes are distinct, but how will the application know
which is which?

However, attributes are ultimately objects that store whatever data one
wants, so if the resolver and attribute decoders wanted to extract and store
information about the source and make that accessible to applications, I
don't see any reason why they couldn't do so.

Ah, okay. I would think this would be required, however, otherwise
the application sees two attributes with the same name and wouldn't
know which is which.

Tom