shibboleth-dev - RE: merging attributes at the SP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: merging attributes at the SP

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: merging attributes at the SP
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:46:25 -0400

> Tom Scavo wrote:
> > Is it still a planned feature of the Shib 2.0 SP to resolve local
> > attributes? If so, how will the SP attribute resolver merge
> > attributes with those returned from the IdP? Or maybe a better
> > question is, how will the application distinguish between IdP-issued
> > attributes and local attributes?

I'd note that per the statements made at the member meeting, we do not
expect to shib the Java SP with the 2.0 release due to time constraints and
overall lateness, and the native SP is not going to have this particular
resolver plugin implemented initially. So I guess you could say that, no,
it's not a planned feature of the 2.0 SP.

I do plan to eventually port the Java resolver over and make it work,
however, aside from what the eventual Java version will have, and I have the
same goal as Chad, not to distinguish between local and remote data.

However, attributes are ultimately objects that store whatever data one
wants, so if the resolver and attribute decoders wanted to extract and store
information about the source and make that accessible to applications, I
don't see any reason why they couldn't do so.