shibboleth-dev - IdP Extension

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

IdP Extension

  • From: Ulrich Bæch-Laursen <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: IdP Extension
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:22:26 +0200

Hi there,

I am currently a part of a team trying to extend the Shibboleth IdP with a container authentication mechanism. We’re building a number of servlets to handle the authentication of the user and in this scenario we have a few uncertainties:

1: We’re using a servlet-filter to catch the initial request for auth from the SP to the IdP, the servlet filter then redirects the user to our auth mechanism where he/she logs in. This produces a number of attributes such as name (cn), address (postalAdress) etc.

We’re just not sure about how to apply these attributes to the session, so that the IdP transfers these attributes to the SP when it regains focus?

1.2 Is using a servlet-filter the ‘appropriate’ way to deal with authentication on the IdP or are there easier or better ways to do this?

2: When using our own auth mechanism, how do we configure the SP/IdP setup so that they acknowledge the mechanism instead of the BASIC auth we’re using now?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Ulrich Bæch-Laursen

Ulrich Bæch-Laursen
Systems developer / MCSE
Direct: +45 7230 6444
Mobile: +45 2086 1435
E-mail:

TietoEnator
Telecom & media
Phone: +45 7230 6400
Fax: +45 7230 6440
Ved Lunden 12
DK - 8230 Åbyhøj
www.tietoenator.com

  • IdP Extension, Ulrich Bæch-Laursen, 09/29/2006