shibboleth-dev - Re: AuthNContext Support and Shibboleth 2 SSO

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: AuthNContext Support and Shibboleth 2 SSO

  • From: Chad la Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: AuthNContext Support and Shibboleth 2 SSO
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:58:07 -0400

Lukas Haemmerle wrote:
On
https://authdev.it.ohio-state.edu/twiki/bin/view/Shibboleth/ShibTwoRoadmap
is written that Shibboleth 2.0 will include "some basic AuthnContext
support". What parts of AuthNContext will be supported exactly and to
what extent? For example, will it be possible to define own AuthN
contexts and maybe even classes?

This has yet to be decided. I have a vague architecture in my head and if it firms up and works out you would be able to create your own and process them. I think it's safe to say we'd support the transport protected password context and likely the IP based one (lots of people still want this).

Related to AuthNContext: What SSO system is Shibboleth 2.0 going to use?
Something completely new or a modified version of CAS as rumor has it ;)

Shibboleth *is* an SSO system. Our goal is to allow people to integrate a Shib IdP with their existing SSO system, if they wish. This will, however, look different than the current mechanism as the IdP will be much more aware of the authentication process. However, we are *not* committing to developing and releasing integration code with any particular third-party SSO system such as CAS or PubCookie.
--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124