shibboleth-dev - Re: PrincipalNameIdentifierMapping

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: PrincipalNameIdentifierMapping

  • From: "Tom Scavo" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: PrincipalNameIdentifierMapping
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 19:13:00 -0400

On 5/23/06, Scott Cantor
> What makes this possible is the SAMLNameIdentifier format handler
> concept in OpenSAML 1.1.

Could you explain the connection?

Sure. Each format handler overrides checkValidity() (among other
things), which allows the following line to appear (repeatedly) in
PrincipalNameIdentifierMapping:

nameId.checkValidity();

Basically, all of the syntax checking is offloaded to the format handler.

There doesn't seem to be any real
dependency on having custom format handlers in OpenSAML and doing this
generic identifier <-> XML mapping function in Shibboleth.

If you're saying there's another way to do it without using
SAMLNameIdentifier format handlers, I don't doubt it. The hooks were
there in OpenSAML 1.1 and I exploited them, that's all.

So much so that since the main reason for having those custom handlers in
OpenSAML 1 was validating the identifier syntax, I don't see much reason to
have that support in 2. We have a validation layer that exists apart from
the core classes that will handle that sort of thing more flexibly, I think.

I have no idea what you're doing in OpenSAML 2.0, so I can't comment
on this. It would be a shame to lose this capability, however. The
big benefit is to the deployer since now there's just one
configuration setting that applies across the board to a handful of
name identifier formats. In fact, if there were a scope (domain)
config setting in Shibboleth, the deployer wouldn't have to mess with
NameMapping at all in a test environment.

Tom