shibboleth-dev - RE: PrincipalNameIdentifierMapping

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: PrincipalNameIdentifierMapping

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: PrincipalNameIdentifierMapping
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:53:40 -0400

> What makes this possible is the SAMLNameIdentifier format handler
> concept in OpenSAML 1.1. Three such handlers have been written
> (UnspecifiedNameIdentifier, EmailAddressNameIdentifier, and
> X509SubjectNameNameIdentifier) and are registered in the base
> NameIdentifierMapping class.

Could you explain the connection? There doesn't seem to be any real
dependency on having custom format handlers in OpenSAML and doing this
generic identifier <-> XML mapping function in Shibboleth.

So much so that since the main reason for having those custom handlers in
OpenSAML 1 was validating the identifier syntax, I don't see much reason to
have that support in 2. We have a validation layer that exists apart from
the core classes that will handle that sort of thing more flexibly, I think.