shibboleth-dev - RE: 5/1 Shib Dev call, discussion of metasearch use case...

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: 5/1 Shib Dev call, discussion of metasearch use case...

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "'Teets,Mike'" <>, "'Peter Murray'" <>
  • Subject: RE: 5/1 Shib Dev call, discussion of metasearch use case...
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 17:15:34 -0400

> It will take me awhile to fathom this, but in the meantime I have a
> question. What kicks off the process? In other words, what tells the
> IdP that a decorated assertion is requested? Is there something in
> the AuthnRequest that triggers this?

There's unlikely to be a need to restrict it, it just enables follow-on
requests subject to policies over what the service actually tries to do. I
think I made that point explicitly. It's likely either all on or just set
per SP. In Liberty they usually assume every SSO token contains a bootstrap
EPR for the discovery service.

BTW, if you're trying to learn WS security from that alone, I wouldn't
advise it. I'm sure there are better introductory sections in the specs. The
point wasn't a tutorial as much as a demonstration that it's possible to do
things without any new standards, and secondarily to point out how complex
WS-Security actually is.