shibboleth-dev - Re: SAML Artifact attribute

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: SAML Artifact attribute

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , ,
  • Subject: Re: SAML Artifact attribute
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:11:02 +0100

Scott Cantor wrote:

Artifact can be faster

We did some informal side-by-side testing of Artifact+push vs. POST+query a while back, and found that the Artifact+push case was noticeably faster for us. I suppose the amount of improvement probably depends on the speed of the machines involved, though.

Another attraction is that you don't see the "we're redirecting you" page flash by, which is a win from a user education point of view.

I'm not saying "Artifact+push is better"; there are too many other things in the balance for it to be possible to make that kind of statement. But it seems to be best from a user experience perspective.

-- Ian