shibboleth-dev - RE: SSO Integration in Shibboleth 2.0

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: SSO Integration in Shibboleth 2.0

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: SSO Integration in Shibboleth 2.0
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:28:23 -0400

> I've searched for info about this topic on the Shibboleth
> Wiki, but I haven't found anything. Can anybody tell me what
> has been decided about how Shibboleth 2.0 will interface with
> an SSO service? Or alternatively, can you point me to some
> documentation about this topic? Thanks for your help.

https://authdev.it.ohio-state.edu/twiki/bin/view/Shibboleth/ShibTwoAuthN

Shibboleth 2.0 *is* a SSO service (and so is 1.x with <50 lines of code
added). It only interfaces with one if that's how you choose to deploy it,
and I think the consensus view is that it's not Shibboleth's role to
implement proprietary translation logic.

People who care can implement translators as Authentication Handlers (to use
Chad's term) and those can glue SAML behavior to other SSO protocols within
the constraints of those systems. If a bunch of people that use one system
want to build a handler and donate it to the project that's fine, but that's
as far as I would like to see Shibboleth going with it.