shibboleth-dev - Active Directory - LDAP: ignore referrals patch

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Active Directory - LDAP: ignore referrals patch

  • From: Velpi <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Active Directory - LDAP: ignore referrals patch
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:15:51 +0100

Hi,

I have been building a workaround for a problem with MS Active Directory when resolving attributes with an LDAP search from the base of the directory.
https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/shibboleth-users/2005-09/msg00277.html
https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/shibboleth-users/2005-12/msg00032.html

The problem comes down to attribute references that cannot be resolved ("PartialResultsException"). Most of the time, you just don't want the resolver to bother about that. MS-AD does not seem to respond correctly to any standard controls to ignore this problem.

At this point I have some working code that makes it possible handle this problem as the administrator would like. As suggested by Patrik Schnellmann I added an attribute "skipReferrals" to the JNDI provider that is configured in resolver.xml. The patch requires several minor changes to JNDIDirectoryDataConnector and an extra line the resolver.xml schema definition. [I have patched both the lastest release version (r1.3b) and the latest CVS version (1.20) of this class]

The patch has been tested successfully for a directory where merging multiple results isn't needed. The function for merging those attributes has been patched too, but has not been tested.

I think a lot of people would benefit from it if the patch was included in one of the next releases of the Shibboleth IdP, if it is found to be ok. If any of the developers is interested in the code, please let me know where I can send my files to. (it doesn't seem appropriate to include the entire file here)

kind regards,

Jan "Velpi" Van der Velpen
LUDIT - K.U.Leuven
W. de Croylaan 52A | 3001 Heverlee | Belgium
http://shib.kuleuven.be