shibboleth-dev - Re: The Endorsed XML Libraries

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: The Endorsed XML Libraries

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: The Endorsed XML Libraries
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 13:26:42 -0500

In addition to Walter's comments, let me try to add a bit more.

If you are using JBoss, make sure you are placing the Xerces and Xalan jars into JBoss's endorsed directory, which is not necessarily the same things at the JDK's endorsed directory. If you have the JDK using one implementation and JBoss using the classes from another you'll have issues (no big surprise there).

Also you need to endorse these libraries IF you're running Sun's JDK. Things like IBM's and BEA's JVM's are not known to have this problem, but they aren't tested much by us either. I may be the only one who tries them and that's only on occasion. In addition to memory leaks though I recently ran across a bug in JDK 1.5.0, Update 5, when parsing attributes with QName values.

So the short answer is that Sun's implementation is simply broken.

Ramanathan, Subbu wrote:
We are using Shibboleth in JBoss 4.0.2 with JDK 1.5. We still seem to
need the endorsed XML libraries for Shibboleth to run properly. Can
someone you please provide some concrete answers for: (1) Who has
provided these libraries? (2) What is different between these and
the default ones that come with JDK 1.5?

The reason why I ask: Our client's web app breaks when we use these
jar files. They need some concrete answers before they can
comfortably change their code to work with these libraries.

Your answers to these will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Subbu Ramanathan

--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall