shibboleth-dev - Re: Scope of self

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Scope of self

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Scope of self
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:58:07 -0500

On 11/4/05, Scott Cantor
> > How can a name mapping plugin know shibmd:Scope if the IdP does not
> > consume its own metadata?
>
> It doesn't know it. The only place scope is ever mentioned is inside the
> attribute resolver. Name Identifiers aren't "scoped" and there is no code
> that could filter them using the metadata anyway.
>
> Regardless, consuming your own metadata is never a requirement for anything.
> You can always configure the information directly...

Sorry, I should have told you what I'm trying to do. I'm implementing
a name mapping plugin for emailAddress identifiers. Rather than
require a Scope attribute in the <NameMapping> element, the thought is
to default to shibmd:Scope taken from IdP metadata.

Gee, how many scopes are there in the world? Is there a scope defined
somewhere in the IdP that a name mapping plugin can leverage?

Thanks,
Tom