shibboleth-dev - RE: Attribute Authority

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Attribute Authority

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Tom Scavo'" <>, "'Shibboleth Development'" <>
  • Subject: RE: Attribute Authority
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:25:00 -0400

> The glossary deprecates the term "Attribute Authority". If that's
> true, what is the accepted terminology for this Shibboleth component?

I'm not sure what glossary you mean...I guess the wiki topic? Reading over
it, I would have to say that the glossary is pertaining to the Shibboleth
System (the software), and not the Shibboleth Specification.

The spec certainly calls out the architectural notion of an AA, and of
course it's what SAML defines it to be.

The software no longer has anything we call an AA, its functionality is
split across several software components in the IdP implementation. Really
it always was, I suppose.