shibboleth-dev - GridShib software available

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

GridShib software available

  • From: Von Welch <>
  • To: Discussion list for the ESP-GRID project <>, , Jill B Gemmill <>, Renee Shuey <>, John-Paul Robinson <>, Shelley Henderson <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: GridShib software available
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:16:35 -0500

Helo all, we're pleased to announce the availability of the first GridShib release for Shibboleth/Globus Toolkit interoperability - Von (for the GridShib team)
--

The GridShib team from Argonne National Laboratory, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications, and the University of Chicago is pleased to announce the initial beta release of the GridShib software to enable interoperability between the Globus Toolkit (GT) and Shibboleth.

* What is included in this release?

This initial GridShib release consists of two plugins, one for the GT web services-based runtime and one for a Shibboleth Identity Provider (IdP). These plugins, in combination, enable the Globus Toolkit runtime to query a Shibboleth IdP to obtain attributes about a client, and to make authorization decisions based on those received attributes.

We also include test applications for verifying the configuration of the Shibboleth and GT installations.

* Is this release ready for production?

This is an initial beta release. While we have tested it internally, given the freshness of code, we are more interested in having people experiment with it and provide feedback, than attempting to put it into production at this time.

* What versions of GT and Shibboleth do the plugins work with?

The GT plugin will work with any GT 4.x version of GT (currently 4.0.1 and 4.0). The Shibboleth plugin will work against the current Shibboleth CVS head and the upcoming Shibboleth 1.3b release (there have been packaging changes since the Shibboleth 1.3 release to support third-party plugins such as GridShib that are required).

* Where can I get the software and find out more information?

You can find more information about the project, software downloads, and instructions how to join the 'gridshib-beta' email list at the GridShib web site:

http://gridshib.globus.org/

* Are there any acknowledgments?

GridShib is funded under the NSF NMI program and receives immeasurable help from both the Internet2 Shibboleth Project and the Globus Alliance.

Globus Toolkit(R) and Shibboleth(R) are registered trademarks of the University of Chicago and of Internet2, respectively.