shibboleth-dev - Re: TargetedID Durability

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: TargetedID Durability

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: TargetedID Durability
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:43:04 -0400

Scott Cantor wrote:
Our different understanding is not whether an ePTID can ever change.
The causes you mention are valid reasons to change an ePTID.
However, absent some special agreement or action between the SP
and IdP, I think an ePTID for a user to a particular SP has to be
invariant, forever.

The relevant property is non-reassignment. Under various circumstances the
value may change, and of course it's useful to have mechanisms to inform the
SP of that, as SAML 2 does. But a given value is never recycled.

The requirements here from a software standpoint are the same as for SAML 2
persistent NameIDs. That's why we changed the syntax to match it.

The additional requirements that adds are SP affiliations and SP-attached
aliases for the value, which turns it from a triple (IdP, SP/Affiliation,
value) into a quadruple (IdP, SP/Affiliation, value, SP value).

Can you explain what you mean by SP-attached aliases? I think I understand, but I just want to be sure.
--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124