shibboleth-dev - Token passing from SSO

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Token passing from SSO

  • From: Alistair Young <>
  • To: 'Shibboleth Development' <>
  • Subject: Token passing from SSO
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:40:53 +0100

At the moment, the shibb IdP gets a request from a WAYF or SP with the shire, target etc params. I was wondering if it would be possible for it to also accept another "handle" or "id" parameter which it translates to a SAML element, to be sent with the AuthenticationStatement it generates.

The use case is where the SP hasn't redirected to the WAYF/IdP. Instead, something else has done it on it's behalf. The SP receives the SAML Response from the IdP though. The "handle" or "id" or whatever would be used by the SP to match up the incoming Response with the original proxy.

Would this be feasible for shibb? Is there a SAML element that could be used? I've done this using cookies but it would be better to have something at the message level, allowing cross domain proxying.

ta,
Alistair