shibboleth-dev - RE: targeted ids

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: targeted ids

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Jim Fox'" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: targeted ids
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:51:12 -0500

> This method seems to answer all our concerns. It is flexible, gives
> a permanent record of targeted ids, and meets the requirements.

Yep. It is *exactly* how it should be done, IMHO.

> There are a few considerations, MySQL supports stored procedures
> only since its 5.0.2 release (an alpha). DB2 has supported them
> for some time and might be a better database choice. Also, I could
> see no way to implement any of this without the custom plugin, and
> I am not overly fond of this sort of customization. It does, however,
> work.

It would be bad to embed this sort of thing into the code. It belongs in a
plugin. However, the plugin could utilize SQL directly (since SPs are very
non-portable and often a bitch to use with ODBC and JDBC), and the SQL can
be factored into configurable files for portability. That's the basic
minimum that I think would be required for us to distribute something, and
we'd have to include *some* kind of (probably Java) database in the package
for it to work out of the box. All of that is *why* we didn't do it, it's a
lot of work.

Obvoously making something available outside the distribution doesn't
require all that. People can share whatever they've done without
generalizing it to that degree.

> We are willing to contribute whatever part of this people might
> be interested in. If someone wanted to review the code that would
> be nice too. I have some urgency here, as we will be releasing
> these targeted ids soon.

I am more than willing to use and review it. I just don't have time to build
it or package it because I think it needs to be done to a certain standard
for inclusion in the code base. People are very demanding even when it's
free. ;-)