shibboleth-dev - Re: Java Target Code Checkin Checklist

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Java Target Code Checkin Checklist

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: "Howard Gilbert" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Java Target Code Checkin Checklist
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:03:37 -0500

That's fine by me.

-Walter

On Oct 27, 2004, at 3:50 PM, Howard Gilbert wrote:
ShibResource.java - I propose a change to line 67, probable bug fix.
The existing code defaults to find resources from the JRE part of the
classpath. I change it to use the local ClassLoader and therefore to
find resources in the WEB-INF directory.

Why?

Well, all the "resources" that I am loading (configuration XML files, schema
XSD files, ...) are in the WEB-INF directory. To express this, you tell the
resource manager to use a ClassLoader associated with a Class that came from
WEB-INF. I think I had a problem getting this to work without changing it
(that is, I sure didn't propose the change just because I was reading
through the code and spotted it). However, from first principals of Java
ClassLoaders, you choose a Class that came from the same part of the
classpath and maybe even the same JAR or directory as the resource file you
are looking for.

There is a broader background discussion of ClassLoaders as a topic on the
Wiki

http://tp.its.yale.edu/shib/tiki-index.php?page=ClassLoader