shibboleth-dev - SHIB design call -- (7/26), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

SHIB design call -- (7/26), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: SHIB design call -- (7/26), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:50:32 -0400

Phone #: (800) 541-1710
Pin #: 0142203

Agenda:

1) Improving WAYF usability. The PopUp listis getting a little long..... are there changes we'd like to make, to improve usability...

2) Shib and Middleware Diagnostics -- From the beginning, we've seen many demonstrations of how confusing it is to diagnose problems in a distributed system like Shibboleth. When sites are first starting to work with Shibboleth, even simple config errors can result in confusing messages; worse, different errors can sometimes result in the same message. And we're not even sure yet of what kinds of messages and problems may surface when a site institutes large scale use of Shib.

A general approach has been suggested by the E2E MD group. Here's the 100K foot view -- have both the origin and target generate log files with log entries threaded per transaction. Some sort of process would collect origin and target log files and process them, discovering the threads. And Help Desks and Sysadmins could look at the threads. And yes, there's literally a bazillion really hard questions that have to addressed to make this idea operational.

I'd like to suggest, tho that we begin by discussing how portions of the architecture of the Shib implementation might have to be changed to work well in this model. After we get a better understanding of the Shb related issues, we'll probably have a joint discussion with the E2E MD group.

Some questions that we could explore include:

1) how to implement some sort of thread thru a set of messages

2) an "architecture for message handling". Do we just generate error text like we do now, or should we implement a slightly more centralized mechanism for interpreting the error codes?

... and I'm sure there are lots more......

  • SHIB design call -- (7/26), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt, Steven_Carmody, 07/21/2004