shibboleth-dev - Re: Proposal for adding session management functions to Shib

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Proposal for adding session management functions to Shib

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To: Chad La Joie <>,
  • Cc: Daniel Fisher <>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for adding session management functions to Shib
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:33:15 -0700

Chad, A few observations/questions.

Why would you force a logout with a third party application? Do you know that JSTOR wants users logged out after some period? What period? Why not let the app handle that case? I would assume that different apps would want different timeouts depending on a number of possible variables.

The origin might provide advice, for example that "we believe user sessions with you should be timed out after 20 minutes of inactivity" but I think that's a fringe idea.

It seems to me the real use case is when the user explicitly wants to log out of all their sessions. In that case, they need some way to tell the HS/logout daemon "please tell all apps I've gone to to kill my session." Of course, it might not know all the apps you've gone to (depends on how it maintains state) and a user might have sessions via more than one origin.
-----