shibboleth-dev - Re: Proposal for adding session management functions to Shib

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Proposal for adding session management functions to Shib

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for adding session management functions to Shib
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:38:01 -0700

All our apps must implement an interface. One of the pieces of the interface is the ability to accept the logout request. Some apps just drop the request others actually log you out. We are pushing for our apps to support the log out stuff but nothing says they HAVE to (which in my opinion is a mistake). The app does not acknowledge the request in any way either, which I think it should. That's one aspect I like about the SAML 2.0 spec (which I just read now that I found it).

Scott Cantor wrote:
Thanks for the detailed suggestions. Have you guys dealt with the way this
functionality is exposed to applications? Do they register somehow for
logout notification? I was at least tossing around ideas for adding
configuration elements so that the Shib applications can expose endpoints
for notifying them that logout is happening.

Similarly, I suppose something like that would work on the back end for
notifying the authentication layer.

Chad La Joie
Project Manager (540) 231-6853
Middleware Services http://www.middleware.vt.edu