shibboleth-dev - Re: A Case for Shibboleth and PKI (again)

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: A Case for Shibboleth and PKI (again)

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • Cc: Shibboleth Developers <>, "David H. Walker" <>
  • Subject: Re: A Case for Shibboleth and PKI (again)
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 15:00:19 -0500

Some thoughts upon reading this...

. Does this problem really need shib? It's a real and common circumstance, but (1) there must be an alternative to federated solutions to guest network access, because many guests do not and will not originate from shibbolized environments (or a common federation, regardless of its architecture), and (2), given (1), building 2 solutions to 1 problem, in which one of the solutions always works and the other does only sometimes, likely means that the solution that always works will be the only one much used and supported.

. Work in Europe has addressed the problem of referring authentication to a remote site to enable network access, although not with a shib architecture. Might be worth a look before substantial effort is spent on a new solution. I know that A-Select has this as a use case (http://a-select.surfnet.nl/), and I can't at the moment recall the name of that inter-realm RADIUS service that's somewhat widely deployed. And several TERENA countries have various national schemes.

. How would a user get or maintain a "portable handle object"? Doesn't this require planning ahead, ie, be not all that different than pre-registration from the perspective of peoples' busy lives and changing travel requirements? The alternative would seem to be that fresh ones are somehow maintained in users' browsers by origin infrastructure automagically.

. I don't know whether the latest JISC grant program (Circular 1/04: Call for Projects in Core Middleware) awarded a project that might address this use case with a shib style approach. Might be worth a note to Alan Robiette to find out, if certain readers of this list don't already know.

Keep on tilting!
Tom

David L. Wasley wrote:
Here I go tilting at windmills again.