shibboleth-dev - RE: Comments on Shib 1.1 installation

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Comments on Shib 1.1 installation

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Olivier Salaun - CRU' <>,
  • Subject: RE: Comments on Shib 1.1 installation
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:29:02 -0500

> I thought this variable must be used to look for the
> shibboleth.ini file because my siterefresh binary is
> complaining it cannot find
> /opt/shibboleth/etc/shibboleth/shibboleth.ini whereas I
> compiled my Shib target with a different --prefix. Actually I
> did not run the siterefresh myself (and therefore cannot
> provide a command line argument) ; it was run by the SHAR at startup :

The SHAR and the siterefresh utility are two different things. The SHAR
definitely needs to know where to find the config file. The new SHAR binary
will have a pair of command line parameters and environment variables.

[re: port problem]
> I've sumitted a bug in bugzilla for this...

I do know we can't reproduce this yet, so I'm afraid it's local to your
Apache. If the Apache API calls are functioning, our code will. If not, not.

> I did not mean general documentation about certificates but a
> transverse chapter about certificates in Shibboleth. I know
> there are already chapters 4b, 5c (origin). But I missed some
> documentation when I started configuring my trust.xml files...

Because that's changing 100% in the new release. I didn't document anything
I knew would change.

> BTW: did anybody take some time to test SAML interoperability
> with other Identity management software ?

No, and SAML 1.x by itself doesn't offer enough standardization to do real
world interop for the kinds of things we do. We also don't do artifact
profile, and until recently most products didn't do POST.