shibboleth-dev - Re: URL -> app mapping

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: URL -> app mapping

  • From: Thomas Lenggenhager <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc: 'Shibboleth Dev Team' <>
  • Subject: Re: URL -> app mapping
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 12:51:41 +0100

Is it correct, that the ApplicationID is in fact the ID of the
Application Domain?

BTW, the document about application domains is no longer at the location
announced in the e-mail last October, but I could find a cached copy at
Google
http://www.columbia.edu/~wassa/application.domains/app.domains.html

> I've got a simple draft schema for configuring the mapping between resources
> and application IDs in the target.
>
> Here's a sample:
>
> <ApplicationMap xmlns="urn:mace:shibboleth:target:appmapper:1.0"
> ApplicationID="http://jstor.org/InCommon";>
>
> <VirtualHost Name="www.jstor.org" Port="443" SSL="true">
> <Path Name="admin"
>
> ApplicationID="http://jstor.org/InCommon/admin"/>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> </ApplicationMap>
>
> There's a default ID at the root that you override at any point by inserting
> VirtualHost elements (with hostname/port/scheme) and then Path elements.
> Obviously you can nest Path elements in each other to whatever depth is
> needed.
>
> Constructing the above, you get https://www.jstor.org/* mapping to the
> default app ID except that https://www.jstor.org/admin/* maps to the
> overridden app ID.
>
> I'll throw some XSLT together to include in the package to spit out the URL
> mappings, shouldn't be too difficult (unless somebody wants to give me a
> script, hint hint).
>
> The ApplicationID values are URIs, and would normally be the SAML 2.0
> ProviderID values used by a target/SP to issue messages, and dereferencing
> the URI would usually return a SAML metadata document.

Doesn't this mean, that in your example
http://jstor.org/InCommon
and http://jstor.org/InCommon/admin
return SAML metadata documents? With these URLs I would more expect a
normal web page, the application or one of its services.

Wouldn't it make more sense in real life to use something like
http://jstor.org/AppID/InCommon
and http://jstor.org/AppID/InCommon/admin

Or did I got something wrong with the concept of SAML metadata?

Beyond these questions I like your proposal.

Thomas