shibboleth-dev - archives; recap of "endorsed" libs

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

archives; recap of "endorsed" libs

  • From: Christopher A Bongaarts <>
  • To:
  • Subject: archives; recap of "endorsed" libs
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:00:06 -0600

First off: I'm pretty sure the answer to my question was discussed
recently on the list, but I couldn't find any web archives of the
mailing list. So I guess I have to ask again...

For a 1.1 origin deployment, I copied the dom3*.jar files to Tomcat's
(4.1.29, using j2sdk1.4.1_06) endorsed directory, and deleted the
existing files (xercesImpl.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar), but now am
getting an error message from
org.apache.xml.security.utils.XMLUtils.getOwnerDocument saying:

Since it seems that nobody reads our installation notes, we must do
it in the exceptions messages. Hope you read them. You did NOT use
the endorsed mechanism from JDK 1.4 properly; look at
(http://xml.apache.org/security/install.html, hidden from browser due
to enclosure in angle brackets) how to solve this problem. Original
message was "null"

Of course, the link is dead, although poking around on xml.apache.org
eventually lead me to the page I think it was referring to
(/security/Java/installation.html). The page looks pretty dated, and
it's not clear to me where to get the xalan.jar file they talk about.

I'm not at all familiar with Tomcat (this is the first and probably
only application we'll deploy that requires it), so I definitely
suspect administrator error.

I know that discussion of the "endorsed" libraries happened recently
but I don't recall any of the details.

Thanks for any tips.

%% Christopher A. Bongaarts %%

%%
%% Internet Services %% http://umn.edu/~cab %%
%% University of Minnesota %% +1 (612) 625-1809 %%