shibboleth-dev - Target metadata

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Target metadata

  • From: Thomas Lenggenhager <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Target metadata
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:44:02 +0100

In the UI-notes.html file
http://stc.cis.brown.edu/~stc/Projects/Shibboleth/UI/Stanford/UI-notes.html
in section '3 Assumptions' I saw a list of what should be part of
the target metadata. (Or is there a document on target metadata I missed?)

Here I have one additional wish for addition to the metadata.

Your list contaons 'required attributes and values'. I would see a
benefit in asking targets to not just list the required attributes
but also the attributes a target would like to receive.
So I propose to make a distinction between mandatory and optional
attributes.
Mandatory attributes are the ones which need to be present in order
to get authorized.
Optional atttributes are the ones the target resource would like to
receive in order to e.g. provide better service.

An example where I see a benefit:
For authorization a target requires the affiliation attribute
to have the value 'student'.
In order to be able to send some results back to the user, the
target resource would like to get the e-mail address as well.

The user will not get access to the target without affiliation=student.
If no e-mail address is provided the target resource would first ask
the user to provide the address. However, it is more convenient for the
user if he/she has not to type it in again and again.

Thomas
Thomas Lenggenhager

SWITCH The Swiss Education & Research Network
Limmatquai 138 Tel: +41 1 268 1520
CH-8001 Zurich, Switzerland Fax: +41 1 268 1568

  • Target metadata, Thomas Lenggenhager, 11/28/2003