shibboleth-dev - SHIB design call, monday (11/124), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

SHIB design call, monday (11/124), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: SHIB design call, monday (11/124), 3:00 pm edt, noon pdt
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:47:38 -0500

Phone #: (800) 541-1710
Pin #: 0142203

Agenda:

1) Current programming issues/questions

- I've asked Derek to describe his plans for vhost support on the target

2) Begin discussion of a DRAFT non-web-browser profile, describing how a client (other than a web browser) could obtain a SAML Authn and Attribute Assertions and present them to a target.

http://stc.cis.brown.edu/~stc/Projects/Shibboleth/Version-2/Profile-Non-Browser/draft-carmody-non-browser-profile-00.html

This is DRAFT -- some sections aren't even filled in at this point. Its modeled on the the SAML Bindings and Profiles doc:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=security

do a FIND on 07-Sept-2003 , and then click on "Bindings and Profiles".

I'm interested in comments and feedback on some of the major choices we face in developing this document:

1) do we need to specify in detail the protocol between the client and the Credentials Collection process?

2) is it OK to leave use of SAML assertions within other client-server protocols (eg XMPP) to the authors of those protocols? I assume yes......

3) given the nature of the web (easy to make multiple requests for different resources at the same target but in different application domains, and the need for shib to support this....), and the reality that existing protocols (eg XMPP, etc) probably do NOT allow re-authn in the middle of the session (ie, in shib terms, obtaining different Attribute Assertions when the appl domain changes)... what is a reasonable approach?

4) Other high level issues.......