shibboleth-dev - Work items, next W2K+ target package

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Work items, next W2K+ target package

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Work items, next W2K+ target package
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:32:05 -0500

We talked about this list some on last monday's call .... this is an attempt to actually develop some text, and prioritize the items. Clearly, there are some places where I'm not familiar with the W2K terminology, and with the specifics of some of what we're looking for (eg installer). Send comments to the list; I'll soon send the list onto the person who'll likely do the work.

At this point, I think points 1-4 are pretty well-defined. Or rather will be, by the time we're done. And represent the body of work that we'd ask for in phase one. The other three strike me as rather fuzzily defined, and thus less important at this point in time...... correct the text down below, if you think I'm wrong.....

1) support for htaccess-style access control. This would allow the local administrator to create access control policy, on a per directory basis. Directives would be similar to/the same as those supported by the apache version of the shibboleth target. The rules would be maintained using a) a text editor? or b) some sort of new GUI tool?. The policy file for a directory (the set of rules) would be stored as a text file in the directory itself. One result of this work would be the ability to create rules granting access to uses who are NOT in the local AD.

-- want support for the new AND directive?

2) Integrate support for managing the shib configuration into the standard IIS management GUI. Currently, the Shib target configuration files are managed by editing text files. The config directives still have to be stored in text files. But, we'd like some BLAH (is modules the right word?) that plug into the IIS management console, would behave consistently with the other management console plugins, and would allow a sysadmin to manage the Shib target config.

3) Improved installer package. (specifics?)

4) IIS 6 testing. Install and the test the Shib target package with IIS 6. Make any required changes to get the package, and the installation process, to work successfully. Identify any changes that are needed to the Deploy Guide.(I think there may be some problems with the new isolation mode in W2K3)

-- items that are still loosely defined ---

5) dynamic content (eg a library to be used from asp). -- Actually, should we ask the shib-users list about this one -- what would they want? And try to measure how strongly people feel about needing this?

6) The obvious big one is .NET support, using the ASP+ classes to do the implementation. What that looks like I have no real idea. (Howard -- any thoughts here?)

7) Integration with windows crypto (presumably,this means management of hte keys and certs? and maybe using the msoft libraries to do the crypto work?)