shibboleth-dev - IETF geopriv on (location) attribute release policies

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

IETF geopriv on (location) attribute release policies

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Shibboleth Dev Team <>
  • Subject: IETF geopriv on (location) attribute release policies
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:57:02 -0600 (CST)

Just another brain-teaser, I'm not sure of the ultimate relevance, but
there's some definite similar thinking here ...

IETF geopriv WG is working on geo-location kinda systems (I think in
mobile device service providers context) and privacy considerations
thereof. This doc:

draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-00.txt

This document describes an XML schema for governing the disclosure
and transformation of geographic location information. It also
describes the goals and the non-goals of the design considerations
for the policy rules and the details of the attributes used within
the policy rules.

has a lot of stuff pretty darn similar to Shib ARPs. Haven't read much of
the doc, but just saw the video, er, a presentation about it, where one
point is that they think this is likely applicable to other kinds of
personal info, eg presence info in general ..

Another tidbit was a strong design choice for policies to always be
additive, that is, no negative permissions, based on the usual argument of
simplicity in policy understanding and computation, no need for precedence
rules, etc. Of course this means (I think) that you can't say "release
all this for everyone, except don't release it for Bob".

Anyway FYI, maybe some ideas to steal, and we know this isn't patented ...
(sorry, small joke 8^)

- RL "Bob"