shibboleth-dev - Shibboleth and Sympa

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Shibboleth and Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Shibboleth and Sympa
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:41:39 +0200

Hi,

Sympa has been designed from the beginning (1998) with authentication and authorization processes separated (good start isn't it ?). Authentication methods (password or X509 certs based) are used on both mail and web interface. An LDAP backend is available and we recently introduced CAS Single Sign-on (from Yale university). The authorization process uses our home-made ACLs (called authorization scenarios) and provides access control for each action within Sympa (subscribing, reviewing subscribers, archives access, ...). Sympa uses a RDBMS (MySQL, Pg, Oracle, ...) for storing both subscriptions information and user preferences ; the user prefs table also contains the encrypted user password if not using and LDAP backend (or an SSO).

Sympa could use Shibboleth service to :
1/ authenticate a user at his/her home organisation (origin)
2/ get some user attributes that could be used in its autorization process

(1) means for us getting, directly or indirectly, an email address because that's what is useable by a mailing list manager.
Sympa would create a user pref entry if none exist for the authenticated user. This entry would obviously have no password defined but would contain the received user attributes for later use within the login session.

Steven was concerned about users using different email addresses, including email addresses not known by Shibboleth.
Sympa is able to cope with alternate email addresses ; a user can declare his/her other email addresses on Sympa web interface. Alternate email is stored in an HTTP cookie, which of course, is a dirty solution. But we'll move these data to the user pref DB table shortly.

We already have a demo version running but we have some problems with the WAYF not redirecting to the correct URL (missing port number). The problem is obviously in the WAYF form that has lost the port number in the "target" variable (see below). Strangely the GET URL to the WAYF was correct (see below). Might this be a configuration problem on our target shib ?

You can still have a try with this shib-ified Sympa :
http://www.cru.fr:8080/wws

Thanks.

Here is the WAYF accessed URL :
https://wayf.internet2.edu/InQueue/WAYF?shire=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cru.fr%3A8080%2FSHIRE&target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cru.fr%2Fwws%2Fsso_login%2Finqueue

Here is a piece of the WAYF HTML code ;

<form method="get" action="/InQueue/WAYF">
<input type="hidden" name="shire" value="http://www.cru.fr:8080/SHIRE"; />
<input type="hidden" name="target"
value="http://www.cru.fr/wws/sso_login/inqueue"; />
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="selection" />
<select name="origin">
[...]

Thanks.

--