shibboleth-dev - Any thoughts on timing for Apache 2.x target support?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Any thoughts on timing for Apache 2.x target support?

  • From: Rob Carter <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Any thoughts on timing for Apache 2.x target support?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:50:10 -0400

Gentlefolk,

I've seen some references on the list to the possibility of expanding
the Shibboleth target code to support Apache 2.x as well as Apache
1.3.x. Here at Duke we have a number of applications that are
gravitating toward Apache 2.x (mostly to take advantage of
multithreading and somewhat better package and module handling), so we'd
be interested in helping with an Apache 2.x effort in any way we can.

Recently, we kicked off a local project (in collaboration with the folks
at Zope Corporation) to develop a higher-ed friendly enterprise web
content management system atop the existing Zope content management
framework. We expect that we'll be using both the Linux and Solaris
versions of Apache 2.x extensively in the infrastructure, and we've made
Shibboleth support (for both local and inter-institutional
authentication) a requirement for the final product. Our goal is to
have an initial deployment ready for on-campus piloting by the start of
the calendar year, so if there were an Apache 2 Shibboleth module
available later in the Fall, we'd be extremely interested in working
with it.

Any thoughts as to how time-consuming the port up to Apache 2 may be,
and whether there's any chance of Apache 2 support in the near future?

--Thanx!--
--Rob Carter--