shibboleth-dev - Re: Sun ONE server suite & Shibboleth

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Sun ONE server suite & Shibboleth

  • From: "Barry R Ribbeck" <>
  • To: 'Shib Team' <>
  • Subject: Re: Sun ONE server suite & Shibboleth
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:25:10 -0500

All Since we are a big Sun One and Java shop so I thought I will volunteer to be the scout sent out to draw fire.

1) I have not heard any mention of support or functional testing of Shib from within Sun and we really haven't seen or heard of any efforts within Sun to officially state a working recipe, for shib. In theory it really should work, but I have not seen or heard of anyone making the attempt. This could be from my lack of attention of late.

2) One of the things that I like about the Sun One web servers is their LDAP support and the way they handle cert authentication. This could work well within the Shib model and extend in a positive direction the work that Ryan Muldoon has done at UW with Cert AuthN. There seems to be just a small piece that is missing from making this work very well. The small piece that is missing in Apache that Sun does well with certs is the test for presence of the cert in LDAP before populating remote user. This is a great control mechanism and I wish I had the time to install Shib with a Sun One web server to test it out.

3) I am very surprised to see Microsoft beating Sun to the door on this one. With their work in the Liberty camp, you would think they would be breaking down the door to get at Shib as an implementation extender, but it has been very quite at least from our perspective. Maybe its time to shake things up.

4) What is Sun doing in the Shib / Grid arena?

5) We all have lots of Sun One Directory Servers, does Sun see Shib as a natural next step or are they more focused on Liberty Federations?

Comments, conflicting opinions and stones are welcome.
Barry