shibboleth-dev - Re: Name for Persistent ID?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Name for Persistent ID?

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc: "'Shib Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: Re: Name for Persistent ID?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:33:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Scott Cantor wrote:

> I have this thing seemingly working, at least in the non-LDAP case. What
> were we going to call it?
>
> I tentatively configured it as
> "urn:mace:incommon:attribute-def:PersistentID"

Hmm. The thing you've implemented is the thing that, say, EBSCO would get
as a persistent but target-specific (and otherwise opaque) ID, so they can
do personalization etc, right? So by nature this attribute is
"this-user-for-this-target". I'm wondering whether a single
attribute-type (to use the LDAP term), as you suggest, is the right
approach, or whether this might be better expressed as "the <target> ID
for this user", for the various values of target, eg

urn:mace:ebsco.com:stuff:our-special-id

or

http://elsevier.com/personalization-id

I guess the idea of a single type kinda bothers as it means the AA is
responsible for figuring out that when target X asks for that type it gets
one value, and when target Y asks it gets a different value. Moreover it
prevents cases where target Z might legitimately be able to be given the
persistent ID value for target Y.

Obviously giving each of these things its own type means many types and
registrations, which is a lose. And there would have to be a mapping from
each of these types to connect it to the id-generation code. But I'm
inclined to think the additional clarity is worth it.

- RL "Bob"