shibboleth-dev - MySQL in Shib CVS

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

MySQL in Shib CVS

  • From: Derek Atkins <>
  • To:
  • Subject: MySQL in Shib CVS
  • Date: 26 Jun 2003 22:47:18 -0400

Hi,

I moved the MySQL code into the main Shib CVS tree today. By default
it will detect if you have MySQL and build the module if it's found,
but ignore it if it's not found. There are two configure arguments:

--disable-mysql -- don't even try detecting MySQL, ignore it completely
--enable-mysql -- force building MySQL and error out if it's not found

--with-mysql=PATH -- the directory where MySQL can be found, if it's
not already in the path. It uses this to find mysql_config;
in particular it looks for PATH/bin/mysql_config

Yet to do:
- add documentation
- put the license-info file (e.g. the mysql email) into CVS

A note to package builders: the mysql ccache code needs access to the
mysql error tables. These are found in MySQL's "sharedir", but there
is no way to ask for that directory. If someone is building this
on their own then it isn't a problem, because mysql will know where
to look. However, if we package our own binaries we will:

1) have to distribute the files, and
2) point the client at the files.

On shib2 and sunra the files can be found in /opt/mysql/share/{english,...}
My plan was to copy them to /opt/shibboleth/share/... and include them
in the shib binary tarball. Then we can tell users to include the
following in their shibboleth.ini:

[mysql]
arg1 = --language=/opt/shibboleth/share/english

I'll note that if they build shib themselves against their own mysql
then they wont need this option.

Enjoy!

-derek
Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

PGP key available