shibboleth-dev - RE: Target binaries / miscellany - solaris -- readable!

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Target binaries / miscellany - solaris -- readable!

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: , 'Shibboleth Design Team' <>
  • Subject: RE: Target binaries / miscellany - solaris -- readable!
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 02:45:21 -0400

> >On the following i386-based systems GCC 3.2.1 broke the C ABI wrt.
> >functions returning structures: Cygwin, FreeBSD (GCC 3.2.1 as
> >shipped with FreeBSD 5.0 does not have this problem), Interix,
> >a.out-based Linux and NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Darwin. GCC 3.2.2 reverts
> >this ABI change, and thus restores ABI-compatibility with previous
> >releases (except GCC 3.2.1) on these platforms.

I never built with 3.2.1 anywhere, so that wouldn't seem to be the issue. The
problem is that they did not provide forward
compatibility on either platform for 3.2.2 code, and the old 3.2 libstdc++
5.0.0 doesn't work. I think that stinks, so maybe we want
to roll back the binaries to 3.2, but OTOH, you can just grab or build
libstdc++ for 3.2.2 w/o disturbing anything.

On Linux, you're stuck if you want to use only RH RPMs, and we probably have
to match whatever they provide. If that means 3.04, I'm
fine with that. I just used 3.2.2 to make sure it would work.

> from the 3.2.3 announcement (april 25):
>
> >3.2.3 is a bug fix release only; there are no new features that were
> >not present in GCC 3.2.2.

I didn't use 3.2.3, it came out later.

> 3.3 was released about 10 days ago.... but in a quick scan there
> don't seem to be any BIG ABI issues (altho someone other than me
> ought to look at the release pages.....)

That's nice, but no doubt they broke forward compatibility again, so if you
compile with 3.3 you have to install libstdc++ 3.3
too...

> when I look on sun freeware, I see 2.95 and 3.2.3 -- anyone know
> whether solaris sysadmins typically install from the gcc site, or
> from sun freeware?

I believe they installed from sunfreeware. Obviously you could try installing
the 3.2.3 version of libgcc/etc., which has libstdc++
5.0.3, and see if that loads the code successfully on your box.

If not, then they appear to be doing nothing that I would call a stable ABI,
but I assumed that wasn't so.