shibboleth-dev - AIX and shib

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

AIX and shib

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "'Allen,Eva'" <>
  • Subject: AIX and shib
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:54:08 -0500

In between other stuff, I've been playing with some of the dependent
libraries on the AIX 4.3.3 box at Penn State, and I can't say I'm
getting very far.

This is somewhat off topic, but this note about building Globus' slapd
on AIX should give you some of the flavor:

http://esc.dl.ac.uk/StarterKit/gt2/quick/aix_tips.html

A lot of the problems are the same.
Basically, AIX + complex shared libraries + run time linking + libtool =
programmer with urge to break things.

Truth be told, AIX' approach to libraries is much like Windows, so in
actual fact I think it's much better and more robust than the ELF/SysV
approach that everyone else uses. Unfortunately, autoconf/libtool just
don't know how to deal with it well, because they're rooted in the other
philosophy.

Correcting for this stuff in our sandbox isn't too difficult, but
unfortunately we have so many other things we rely on that don't (or
that are just really bad at shared libraries period, like OpenSSL) that
it's not as simple as just fixing our makefiles.

Given a lot of time, I think it's probably all buildable, but I do mean
a lot.