shibboleth-dev - RE: installing beta-1...

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: installing beta-1...

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: installing beta-1...
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:52:48 -0400

At 3:03 AM -0400 10/9/02, Scott Cantor wrote:
> are we expecting to provide binaries for the supported platforms, or
do we expect everyone to build it from source?

Not sure, but I don't plan on keeping tarballs up to date by hand
anymore, so if binaries are desired, I suggest a Unix-savvy admin set up
a nightly build out of CVS.

We can make binaries of the various libraries available, if that's
useful. Xerces, especially, since the binary they ship is compiled with
the wrong compiler on Sun.

AFAIK, all the pieces we use are autoconf-enabled now, ours and others'.

so far, admins have been installing binaries, and I haven't heard much push back, because they want to install from scratch. For the next block of time... particularly because of the need to get the right compiler version, I was thinking it might be helpful to give sites the option of just downloading a set of binaries.....

I could certainly check with the I2 sysadmins, and see if they'd set up this nightly build process for us.... now that the big move is finished, they might even have some time.....

how would we would want to do the build of the various libraries? presumably not nightly....?

just build opensaml and shib version-X each night, and then build a tarball?