shibboleth-dev - Re: ARP changes

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: ARP changes

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: Derek Atkins <>
  • Cc: Parviz Dousti <>,
  • Subject: Re: ARP changes
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:09:03 -0400

Hey folks,

The incompatibility is in the marshalling/unmarshalling. The Arp
classes currently use Java Serialization to store ARPs. I have
mentioned this before, but I think this is not a good idea. For now, it
isn't a big deal to just give people a new APR, since there are only a
couple of folks in the test. Furthermore, they are only using an one
ARP for the whole site. Down the road, if someone has 2,000 user
created ARPs, we can't just say "create new ARPs". It is true that we
could create tools to convert between ARP formats, but I think it is a
mistake to obscure this data from humans when there isn't any reason to.

- -Walter

Derek Atkins wrote:
| Is there an upgrade tool to convert from the old to new ARPs?
| Or is this an ephemeral, in-core ARP only that is not compatible?
|
| -derek
|
| Parviz Dousti
<>
writes:

|>I checked in the change that we talked about on Monday. Now you can
|>specify a "title" or "comment" for the ArpResource object. I changed
|>ArpUtil (command line util) to support the new feature. Please notice
|>the following important issues:

1- Since we changed the Arp object, none of the previously
|>created ARPs can be used. You have to create new ones with the new
|>ArpUtil program. (Same goes for Arp GUI once Barbara uses new classes).

2- If you use the command line interface and want to add
|>resources with TITLE, you must somehow skip the blank spaces in the
|>title. Just putting quotes around it is not enough. I'll see if I
|>can find a way around it.

I also checked in a new "admin" arp for distribution.

|>Parviz

- --
Walter F. Hoehn, Jr
Systems Programmer