shibboleth-dev - RE: First complaint - got resolved

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: First complaint - got resolved

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'RL 'Bob' Morgan' <>
  • Cc: 'Shibboleth Design Team' <>
  • Subject: RE: First complaint - got resolved
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:36:22 -0400

> Can we see the original problem report?

I attached the original note I got. It's a compilation from Renee.

> I'm not clear on the situation? This could happen if the
> user went back in their browser history and re-POSTed? Can
> the right answer be anything other than "don't do that"?

Yes, I believe a combination of better error messages with some
judicious tweaking of the JavaScript and possible some caching related
headers might do something interesting. I did that a lot with my system.

Another simpler route to take that might be good would be to handle the
replay detection by logging it, and then redirecting directly to the
target w/o setting a cookie, which will do one of two things:

a) In an accidental case, there will be a cookie set from earlier, in
which case they'll just get in. The Back button will be like a fence and
just bounce you right back in.

b) In a real case, there won't be a cookie yet, and the target will
redirect to the WAYF, per usual.

Short run, that may be the simple course to take with the 2.5 release.

The critical thing is to make sure I don't introduce a loop because the
HS isn't somehow seemingly reissuing the same assertion because of some
caching issue in the browser. I've seen a few personal examples of some
strange behavior on that front, so I need to investigate further.

-- Scott