shibboleth-dev - psu problems

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

psu problems

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To:
  • Subject: psu problems
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:10:25 -0400

Hey guys and girls,

I spent some time troubleshooting the problems that psu has been having. The admin arp that comes with alpha-2 is set to allow any SHAR to request attributes for any url whose hostname ends in .edu . Webassign does not meet these criteria, so it was getting an assertion with 0 attributes.

There is a problem currently with the way that arps rules are being selected that prevents any arp from being used other than the "no matching shar" rule. The AA depends on the SAMLBinding to tell it which SHAR the request is coming from. It uses this information to decide which is the most appropriate arp for the current request. The code in the SAMLSOAPBinding class that populates the sharname based on looking at the client cert is commented out right now. The result is that for every request, no matter what the SHAR, a SHAR of null is used. This triggers a fallback to the "default" rule.

There are a couple of problems here, I think. SAMLSOAPBinding needs to populate the sharname, but I am also not convinced that it is best for the AA to proceed at this point. It seems better to me to signal an error if the shar name cannot be determind.

As a workaround, I gave psu an arp that adds *.webassign.net to their "default" admin arp rule. Their requests to webassign are now working, but this is obviously insecure.

-Walter

--
Walter F. Hoehn, Jr