shibboleth-dev - tomcat seems very unstable on shib2

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

tomcat seems very unstable on shib2

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Iljun Kim' <>
  • Cc: 'Shibboleth Design Team' <>
  • Subject: tomcat seems very unstable on shib2
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:16:59 -0400

IJ,

We've been seeing a lot of really odd behavior with tomcat on shib2
during our testing. It's throwing off lots of strange runtime exceptions
in our code that disappear when we rebuild or reinstall the warfile.

It doesn't handle reloading of changed classes while debugging at all,
while shib1 does that very well. And it even fails to create its
workfiles (such as a pid file) in the expected places and doesn't
shutdown gracefully unless it's stopped very precisely with the right
stop command because of it.

I don't know how easy it is to reinstall it given the way it's scattered
all over the Linux file system. If it's not a major effort, a reinstall
to the latest 3.3 release would be a starting point before we consider
moving to 4.0.