shibboleth-dev - RE: managing ARPs

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: managing ARPs

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: managing ARPs
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:55:25 -0400

If you mean b, it seems like something you could implement on top of an
AA if you had a way to collect a set of users by some criteria and then
set an ARP for all of them at once.

Probably you want to keep default/admin ARPs pretty non-user specific.

yes, I meant b. I can keep hunting, and try to come up with a specific scenario....

but, the general description of the situation I'm now worried about is "a set of criteria is used to determine whether a specific ARP applies to the browser user; a second set specifies the set of attributes and values that are released". This actually sounds to me a lot like the scenario we were using when describing "dynamic attributes" (ie attributes generated by some plugin, after it did some policy algebra). The policy algebra might be complex, and the target site didn't want to assume the responsibility for the computation. Additionally, the origin side didn't want to release all the attribute values required for the computation. So..... the "generated attribute value" is different from all the attributes used in the policy algebra computation. And maybe I'm describing an attempt to provide a "general" mechanism to do this... and over-reaching. Maybe I'm creating a GUI requirement for the AA, when this was previously discussed, and we decided the site would have to do some programming in the AA in order to accomplish this.