shibboleth-dev - RE: Public terminals , libaries , kiosks

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Public terminals , libaries , kiosks

  • From: "Tom Dopirak" <>
  • To: "'David L. Wasley'" <>, "'Shibboleth Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: RE: Public terminals , libaries , kiosks
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:19:32 -0500

David ,

I think you are saying that the HS and Webiso should have no real part
in determining whether an Origin is a kiosk kind of machine and requires
no user authentication and that either an IP address or a certificate
are sufficient in cooperation with the AA and a directory to give the
machine whatever entitlements are necessary.

Is there another choice? Ip address based solutions work but have an
inherent dependency on tracking rearrangements of the network topology
are influenced by DHCP, NAT etc. I guess I like the certificate model a
little better but this of course depends upon having that kind
infrastructure in place.

The U Wash folks use a technique where they pre-configure their browsers
so that something is added to the user_agent CGI variable ( U Wash folks
please chip in). This allows their Webiso service to login in a way that
customizes the authentication cookies for Kiosk use. This might be
further extended to denote anonymous login.

I can also imagine some technique where a long term cookie gets set
because an admin authenticates to a website that scopes some cookie
broadly enough .

Tom