shibboleth-dev - RE: Public terminals , libaries , kiosks

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Public terminals , libaries , kiosks

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Tom Dopirak'" <>, "'Shibboleth Design Team'" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: Public terminals , libaries , kiosks
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 22:13:05 -0500

> I am frankly uncomfortable not doing this in a more formal
> way, particularly since we need to build something and
> because it's a common problem. I would like to come to some
> consensus as to how to use the AQHS to represent the state of
> something not being authenticated by a user authentication. I
> think this means specifying something additional in the
> AuthenticationStatement. I am thinking that maybe we can
> expand AuthenticationMethod to include the notion of
> authenticated by entitlement.

SAML doesn't really define it precisely, so we can include whatever
notions we want, basically. I guess we can invent a URN that means
"subject of assertion is sitting at a public workstation and this is
enough for some purposes" and then insure that the properly restricted
set of attributes is associated with the handle.

It's a special case in terms of handling user lookup and so forth in the
AA, but it's not particularly a problem for SAML.